10.15.2012

Journey of a Soul in the Realm of Grace...

Here I sit, in the second floor kitchen of my dorm trying to study for tomorrow's exam. Katie is accompanying me with all her books sprawled about the table as she searches for primary resources for a report. There is a steady hum coming from the old heater along with the sounds of bluegrass music from Katie's laptop. A night autumn breeze is flowing through the cracked window. It's already 12:30 at night or in the morning - depending on ones perspective. As I try to study my mind keeps backtracking to a delightful thought I had today while at the general student recital in Gray Auditorium.

It was one of those moments, I was once again awed at life and the ways of the Lifegiver. It was one of those thoughts I couldn't not share (Right two negatives create a positive).  Let me try to paint this picture with words that so clearly today gave me a glimpse of God's sovereignty. This recital had about twenty students all preforming one piece from their private music lessons. Some had vocal pieces, while others were pianists, organists or a musician of another instrument. Between each piece, a student, James, came out to adjust the prestigious grand piano in the center of the stage for the next performer either lifting the giant lid or laying it back down. About midpoint during the recital, a beaming young Filipino student came out to preform a piano piece. He had a vibe of excitement about him that caused him to stand tall with pride and confidence in his hardly five feet stature. With an enthusiastic grin, he began playing an energetic tune.

As I am a friend of many international students, I began to think it odd how this student choose music as his major (an assumption of mine from seeing this student only in music related activities). A music major may seem a "waste" to some. My college is unique in that all students are given a full scholarship for all four years of tuition upon acceptance. Furthermore, only thirty international students are accepted each to receive admittance to my school. Most international students here choose a major like economics or business (boring I know). I wondered about this student, "What caused him to pursue the study of music rather than a study that would lead to "good" career options?"

This is when I realize that as people we are like this young man. We are all given a beautiful, precious gift of life. This gift is like the full scholarship for school we receive here at Berea College. Beyond this I realized that this journey as a Christian in the realm of grace received through Jesus Christ is like being one of thirty students around the world who receive this scholarship. Then I had another realization, that we are given a marvelous opportunity to be stewards of not only life but life in the realm of grace.

I saw a picture of God's sovereignty being like a student choosing his concentration of study. I began to see that God gives us options, choices, freedom to decide just how to use the life He gives. I saw that we don't have to be forced into dreary economics or business because it's a "good" career option but that we are allowed to pursue passions, like this student's passion of music. I began to see that God uses those decisions we make about vocation to bring about His will even if it be something "fun, desirable". We aren't forced in receiving the gift of life to use it in dreary, boring ways but can and should use the gift in a manner that produces joy, and fulfillment.

This does not mean that all of life will be a breeze just because we find freedom in God's gift. I'm sure this student had to put in much time, commitment and concentration to find the freedom of playing music. I'm certain that there were days his hands ached from playing, or he became frustrated from challenging new pieces, but as he doubled over for a thorough bow I saw that to him it was all worth it.

I too realize, as I bow before my Lifegiver, that as stressful as it can be at times God in His sovereignty has given me the ability and duty of choosing how to spend the gift of life. I am confident that with a heart in line with the things of God, He can use whatever vocation to further His kingdom be it music or economics. This is something, I am grateful for because I'd rather be in the study of music rather than dreadful economics...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree with your observation. When God enables us to pursue our passions, be it music or another interest,this is truly a gift from Him. - Momma