6.06.2013

I'm the one who speaks a funny language...

"He offered His body,
He poured out His soul,
Jesus was broken 
That we might be whole
Broken for me, broken for you
The body of Jesus broken for you.
Come to My table and with Me dine,
eat of My bread and drink of My wine." 
- Janet Lunt

Wednesday night at Connect group (the Bible study of my host family's church), John lifted a piece of bread and said, "Let us remember that no matter which country or people we are from that we are indeed brothers and sister in Christ." As we all pinched a piece of bread, I was awed, " Here I stand in a circle with a group of folks from England, Scotland, Kenya and Tanzania ... all of whom are seeking to serve the Lord. Furthermore they are my family... Suddenly I have been surrounded by people that I've just meet and yet understand the strong brotherhood found in Christ." Let me interject here that my host family had a mission group from England visit that week. 

From that experience and many faced here in Tanzania, I am realizing the beauty found in realizing the smallness of ones own 'world'. In America, I feel rather confident. My life is very comfortable and I can be quiet independent. I have my group of friends and connections to people from all over the nation. I have a car and know how to get around.... I know where to find shampoo and what the monetary value of things are... I understand the political, educational  and even religious systems work, at least partly. I basically know where food comes from and the cultural rules for relating to others. I am proud. I am proud of my 'independence' and my 'knowledge' system of the world I live. I don't like to ask others for help.

However with a simple plane flight everything changes... except the pride. Here I find myself realizing that what I defined as "normal" isn't really so... I realize that my "world" is really rather small. In all actuality, I am a baby. I am a baby speaking a funny language and dependent on the generosity and care of others. Although my pride does not like to ask for help, there is a beauty in discovering the "smallness" of ones world. For example, it is fascinating riding around in a dala-dala squished between a mother with her four children; a big, bulky sack of charcoal and a couple guys standing overhead then realizing that in fact that it is myself who looks, speaks and acts funny. All these people, I find so interesting, are going about living rather ordinary lives.
Receiving papaya from our new friend

I am privileged to have this time to live and learn from the lives of my brothers and sisters here in Tanzania. These first couple weeks have really slipped away. Each day I learn something new about my surroundings that I didn't know when I woke up that morning. Each day is a surprise... I really don't know what will happen or whom I will meet. For example, I have been given the opportunity to visit the Serengeti. For foreigners coming in a trip to the park can be expensive. Tuesday evening I went to visit my Orthodox friends... they were taking some relatives to the Serengeti and said, "We have an extra seat, would you like to go with us on Thursday?"
                                               Hippos in the Grumeti River

So two days later, I found myself munching on a sandwich overlooking a group of hippos in the Grumeti River. Again today after school, I joined my host family on a visit to the boy's home they are starting. On the hill we took a walk and found ourselves on top of rocks with a panoramic view of Lake Victoria. Not to mention being accompanied by about 10/15 local children. Then leaving my host family to catch a dala-dala to my parents home, I was accompanied by two boys who tried to teach me Kiswahili. Then after an interesting 30ish minute ride home (those rides are always interesting... I was basically proposed to on one just the other day), I was welcomed home with Mama clothed in an African khanga and wearing a wide smile. What a joy it was to be home to a home, I'ld never been too... What a joy it is to experience Africa with those I love the very most... The family is really settling in well... cooking on an African charcoal stove and already have neighbor kids running in and out.... that's a little example of just one day....

                                           Fresh from the tree
                                          Above a wonderful sound to wake up too... and a girl showing off her finding..

My heart is grateful and content. At this point, I think I could live here the rest of my life... I do realize that life here is not all surprises, adventure and roses... there are many thorns, hardship and big questions to be wrestled with... as anywhere.... There is much suffering here, of which I really have no concept of... Despite the song of my heart is "How can I keep from singing your praises? How can I ever say enough? How amazing is your love, O My Lord."


No comments: