12.06.2013

A Dream, deep within




To surrender a precious dream is a fearful thing
A dream so beautiful, so wonderful
So mysterious
Causing human hearts to dance
To the rhythms of its music
Since the dawn of time

I held a dream, deep within
Hand in mine, mine in his
Climbing the peaks,
Picking wildflowers,
Tilling the land
Plucking the weeds
Drawing the sails
Riding into the sunset

A dream of hearts enmeshed
Hands locked, each finger entwined
Interrupted by young laughter
Wiggly little catalysts of life
Full of questions, “How hot is the sun?”
“What’s in the dark?”

I awoke harshly.
Cold sheets. Empty heart.
No hand near. No heartbeat other
Than that within
Let me dream, bring me back

Then suddenly I remembered
A peace deeper, a joy wider and
A grace fuller
My spirit overwhelmed, swept in awe
It caused my heart to dance wilder

The dream, from deep within
While yet mysterious, lovely and very good
Became a stinky pit, a slippery slope
In my dream I lost sight
Forgetting I AM

A comforting whisper, soft breeze
Piercing light awakened the spirit,
Shot through the bones,
“Today you are living. Today you find Life. Not in the distance of a dream
But in my Hands of Mercy.”

This reality, also a mystery, is so real
That one day all hearts will
Remember that dance
Stronger than earthy love.

~Anna  
2013



"To surrender a precious dream is a fearful thing, but to pursue anything but the full measure of the glory of God’s love is a wasted life.” –Joshua Eddy

"Let not your longings slay your appetite for living" - Elizabeth Elliot

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind" - Jesus


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I like this style of poetry - it seems to be a mixture of the poetry styles of both your Mama and I when we were younger. I understand the message you are communicating in this poem, for I too had to learn this lesson and the conclusion that you have learned and expressed in this poem. It is wisdom from God about human and divine relationships that is difficult for us to receive; but nevertheless is a Truth that we must yield to if we are to have peace in our hearts and maturity in our Christian life.
Love, Daddy